Home FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Register Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TuneLand Forum Index -> Digital Media -> What is Blu-Ray?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Green
Founder of MGA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: What is Blu-Ray? Reply with quote

Blu-ray, also known as Blu-ray Disc (BD), is the name of a next-generation optical disc format jointly developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), a group of the world's leading consumer electronics, personal computer and media manufacturers (including Apple, Dell, Hitachi, HP, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, TDK and Thomson). The format was developed to enable recording, rewriting and playback of high-definition video (HD), as well as storing large amounts of data. The format offers more than five times the storage capacity of traditional DVDs and can hold up to 25GB on a single-layer disc and 50GB on a dual-layer disc. This extra capacity combined with the use of advanced video and audio codecs will offer consumers an unprecedented HD experience.

While current optical disc technologies such as DVD, DVD±R, DVD±RW, and DVD-RAM rely on a red laser to read and write data, the new format uses a blue-violet laser instead, hence the name Blu-ray. Despite the different type of lasers used, Blu-ray products can easily be made backwards compatible with CDs and DVDs through the use of a BD/DVD/CD compatible optical pickup unit. The benefit of using a blue-violet laser (405nm) is that it has a shorter wavelength than a red laser (650nm), which makes it possible to focus the laser spot with even greater precision. This allows data to be packed more tightly and stored in less space, so it's possible to fit more data on the disc even though it's the same size as a CD/DVD. This together with the change of numerical aperture to 0.85 is what enables Blu-ray Discs to hold 25GB/50GB. Recent development by Pioneer has pushed the storage capacity to 500GB on a single disc by using 20 layers.

Blu-ray is currently supported by about 200 of the world's leading consumer electronics, personal computer, recording media, video game and music companies. The format also has support from all Hollywood studios and countless smaller studios as a successor to today's DVD format. Many studios have also announced that they will begin releasing new feature films on Blu-ray Disc day-and-date with DVD, as well as a continuous slate of catalog titles every month. For more information about Blu-ray movies, check out our Blu-ray movies and Blu-ray reviews section which offers information about new and upcoming Blu-ray releases, as well as what movies are currently available in the Blu-ray format.

"Big wheel keep on turning"
702 762 3245
info@michaelgreenaudio.com
www.michaelgreenaudio.com
Michael Green
Founder of MGA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Players Reply with quote

Releases
Now available
New releases
Coming soon
Recently added

Players
Compare players
Search players

By manufacturer
Arcam (0)
Cambridge Audio (1)
Curtis Mathes (1)
Daewoo (2)
Denon (5)
Desay (6)
DMTech (1)
Funai (1)
Goldmund (1)
Gowell (3)
Grundig (1)
Hotwell (1)
Hualu (1)
Insignia (2)
Integra (1)
JVC (0)
LG (5)
Lite-On (0)
Loewe (1)
Magnavox (1)
Marantz (2)
Memorex (1)
Mitsubishi (0)
NAD (1)
Newcastle (0)
Olevia (1)
ONKYO (1)
OPPO (1)
Panasonic 8
Philips (4)
Pioneer (11)
Samsung (10)
Sharp (5)
Sherwood (2)
Sigmatek (1)
Sony (15)
Sylvania (1)
Vtrek (2)
Yamaha (1)

Blu-ray Players Region ARegion BRegion CAll regions

In the Blu-ray players section you will always find up-to-date information about new and upcoming Blu-ray players, Blu-ray player reviews, photos and product images, detailed specifications about Blu-ray players including release dates, media, audio- and video playback, connections, features etc. You can also search for players and features, and easily compare Blu-ray players using our comparison functions.

New Blu-ray Players

Curtis Mathes CMMBX720 Blu-ray Player
Curtis Mathes | Bonus View (1.1) | Nov 18, 2008 | Region A

Video:
Audio:
Media: 1080p/24p output, 1080p DVD upscaling
5.1 HDMI output, 5.1 analog output
Blu-ray / DVD / CD

Sherwood BDP-5003 Blu-ray Player
Sherwood | Bonus View (1.1) | November 2008 | Region A

Video:
Audio:
HDMI output, 2.0 analog output
Blu-ray / DVD / CD

Insignia NS-2BRDVD Blu-ray Player
Insignia | BD-Live (2.0) | Nov 15, 2008 | Region A

Video:
Audio:
7.1 HDMI output, 2.0 analog output
Blu-ray / DVD / CD

Marantz BD7003 Blu-ray Player
Marantz | Bonus View (1.1) | Nov 15, 2008 | Region A

Video:
Audio:
HDMI output
Blu-ray / DVD / CD

Memorex MVBD-2510 Blu-ray Player
Memorex | Bonus View (1.1) | Nov 15, 2008 | Region A

Video:
Audio:
7.1 HDMI output, 5.1 analog output
Blu-ray / DVD / CD

We Of-course will pick out the ones that tune the best
702 762 3245
Michael Green
Founder of MGA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't jump too fast.

Look at how many High End dinisours are out there because people were takin down the wrong path. I still shiver when I see these boat anchors out there.

Blu-Ray Fails To Catch On

It's being touted as new must-have technology, but so far Blu-ray DVD has failed to catch on.

Sales of Blu-ray DVDs have been disappointing

This Christmas though, manufacturers of these new super high-quality DVD players and discs expect big things as prices fall.

Essentially, Blu-Ray is a better quality DVD designed to work on the new generation of high-definition TVs. The quality is said to be five times better than standard discs.

But while many people are buying large flat screens, they're not yet interested in ditching their old DVD players for something much more expensive.

Despite big price falls in recent months, Blu-ray players are still around £200 and the discs themselves are upwards of £15 each.

Manufacturers of the new technology, like Sony, are still holding out hope it will catch on in a big way.

Industry figures claim three times as many Blu-ray players will be sold next year.

Playstations have a Blu-ray player

David Walstra is Sony UK's home video marketing director.

He said: "There's always an initial phase when you introduce a new format like Blu-ray but now it's coming into the mainstream.

"We've got a good feeling. We know that the retailers are preparing some interesting promotions like bundling players with TVs, so I think there are going to be very attractive offers in the shops this Christmas."

Certain things are working in the format's favour. Earlier this year, its only rival, HD-DVD, bit the dust, leaving Blu-ray a clear market. The Hollywood film studios are also backing Blu-ray as the future format and prices are falling.

What has also helped is that Sony's Playstation 3 already has a Blu-ray player built in, meaning the format has built up a base market. Two million units have already been sold in the UK.

But while gadget reviewers love the quality of Blu-ray DVD, even they admit its high cost makes it a hard one to sell.

Will Findlater, from gadget magazine Stuff, said: "Blu-ray is a confusing format for most people because ultimately, it looks the same as a DVD. It's a disc that you put in a machine and it plays a film for you.

"It just offers a better quality and that's a difficult thing to sell compared to DVD over VHS

Las Vegas,NV
702 762 3245
Michael Green
Founder of MGA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Blu-ray sound better then red book CDs?

Sony Blu-spec brings Blu-ray to CD audio
Sony Music Entertainment's Japanese branch today unveiled a new disc standard that aims to bring the company's lessons from Blu-ray to music CDs. Blu-spec uses the blue lasers that would normally master Blu-ray movies to cut CDs more accurately than would be possible with red lasers. In tandem with the use of polymer plastic for the discs themselves, the format should improve the quality of audio CDs while remaining compatible with existing CD players; the latter has been a weakness of Super Audio CD and other defunct sound formats.
The first Blu-spec discs are due to reach Japan on Christmas Eve and will focus mostly on classical and jazz music, including Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 and Miles Davis' Kind of Blue; 60 titles in all will be available from Sony. The company is hoping to foster cross-label support from rivals such as EMI and Universal that have developed their own proprietary approaches to CDs.

I Personally have never liked the sound of SACD, and have said so. Red Book blows SACD away.

In my opinion regarding Blu-ray if your going for sound wait. Picture? that's another story.

For those of you who got caught up in SACD, buy a box of Q-tips and listen more carefully next time something new come out.

Wink
702 762 3245
Sonic_Beaver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael

Agree completely with you on SACD. I read all those hi-end press reviews claiming how SACD is as real as analog 30 ips reel master tape and all that. Every demo Sonic attended was a disappointment. This is NOT like 30 ips tape. Sonic knows what these sound like.

SACD gives a bright, steely reproduction but maybe with some parts of the midbass sounding pretty real. They may impress on the first couple of tracks but there is something wrong with the treble. Apart from brightness, the transient attacks are a bit out of sync .

Whenever I pointed out the brightness, the typical reply was "it is not run in yet".

When will SACD run in? Probably never.

Some I know got their SACD players but the poor people ended up buying their disk collection twice.

Red Book for me please. If I wanted analog and could put up with the distortion, noise and inconvenience, Sonic will go for the real thing.

Sonic
chipdivot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: SACD Reply with quote

Hi Sonic,

Trying to get a SACD to sound right is what had me looking and I ended up here...anybody need a Denon 2900?

Michael,

Are any of the Blu Ray's worth buying yet? Most of the info is about 5.1 or 7.1 sound and not stereo analog...a few but not many.

I love the video but the sound reviews aren't glowing...from the little I have checked so far.

They seem to like a Panasonic and Sony but not the Samsung...Best Buys Insignia got a good review by Consumers Report...if you read them.

Thanks,
Sonic_Beaver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chip

I worry about how tuneable the newest low-cost CD/DVD/blu-ray compatible players are going to be. I took a look at the transport of a new Philips player the other day and there is even more plastic being used than in my 2007 unit. Previously, the laser unit moved on two highly polished rails. Now one of the rails is plastic. You can also feel and hear the transport bits rattle as you turn it around to look at it. Casings are also coming in plastic too.

How tuneable will these cheap players be if all the "design-down-to-a-price" keeps going on to more plastic? This concerns me because the Tuneland practice as I understand is to get a cheap player, take it apart, tune it and use it until it fails (in 2 years or so), toss the bits in the recycle bin and pop down to the nearest Circuit City/discount house for another sub-$100 player. Will we reach a point that these new players become untuneable? What then...computer audio....music servers?

Sonic
chipdivot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sonic,

Did you go to the store with your screw driver and take one apart? Shocked Wink lol i haven't really checked them out closely yet but they look alot smaller than the first ones out.

I am still using my Samsung P241 and it's going strong. I do have a spare that I picked up for $19 from Best Buy in an open box Very Happy I haven't had one die yet.

I haven't done any posting on my system but I have been playing with it after rearranging the rack and platforms.
Michael Green
Founder of MGA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

At this point I can't help to think that Blu-ray is a step in-between and not the final long term product that we might be looking for. It's exciting though to see that the search is still on, but one has to think "how close are we to the chip being the source without a spining device?"

What are your thoughts?

BTW chips tune up great!!!

Wink
702 762 3245
chipdivot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: tune up Reply with quote

Hmmmm....yea...I could use a tune up Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TuneLand Forum Index -> Digital Media All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: