Home FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Register Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TuneLand Forum Index -> Audiophiles -> Sonic Beaver's System
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sonic_Beaver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael

Sonic moved the 3 FS PZCs and the two DIY "aeroplanes" between 1/10" to 1/4" (max) closer to the listening chair and here is the effects:

Good:
The central images have taken on more dimensionality and have come forward towards me. Images like voices are a more 3D and have more harmonic texture. They are more forward now partly because of the dimensionality and girth. This has gone a good way towards solving the recessed soundstage I got after installing the shutters.

Not so good:
Pulling the PZCs forward seems to cause a loss of width in the soundstage and slightly reduce the ambience behind me. Also the transient impact was less and gave the impression that the performers were playing a bit more lazily and laid back.

Other observations:
I could get sharper transients if I tightened up the bolts on the PZCs but the tonality went funny. Also tried mounting two shutters vertically on the rear wall either side of the air con. No good -- big loss in volume and impact. The room went dead. Who'd think that wood panels can kill the sound in a room like this Question

The shutters seem to be settling so I am taking things easy.

What do you suggest I do next?

Sonic
Sonic_Beaver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael

I let the system run in for another 24 hours and listened again....and Sad the loss of rear ambience/surround sound is even more noticeable.

Got to try a different tack. I got an idea....

Sonic
Michael Green
Founder of MGA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sonic,

I probably know the answer already but is there any "any" way to move the cabinets in the back of the room. I keep hearing them jumping into the middle of the sound.

Question Question Question Question
702 762 3245
info@michaelgreenaudio.com
www.michaelgreenaudio.com
Sonic_Beaver

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael

Sad nope, moving the bookshelves are not an option....

Some observations to help you advise me:

a. Six light shutters on the ceiling and two regulars on each side wall seem to be the maximum I can go before the sound goes downhill.

b. The downhill direction is not excessive liveness but a dead, dry sound. The "room silence" I heard at first after mounting the shutters is not a good thing but a problem.

c. Two shutters mounted vertically or horizontally on the rear wall kills rear ambience and surround.

d. Two shutters on the floor just behind the speakers are promising -- they give more girth but may cause width to be reduced

e. Two shutters on the side walls ahead of the speakers (closer to the listening chair) are good for side images but exaggerate the recessed middle images

d. To counter the dead/dryness I removed the two EchoTunes from the front mid-wall corners

So what does the system sound like now?

A dry sound, very so-so rear ambience, lacking in width and room-fill. As the shutters dry and settle, I hope the system improves. For sure I know this can take up to a month.

Sonic is not giving up yet...
Exclamation but I have heard this system sound much better with the cardboard shutters. Is it a matter of waiting or is something wrong? Apart from the shutters and changing some DIY springs for Genuine MGD harmonic springs(oh yes, some small MW squares changed for bigger ones), nothing in the system has been changed. Sonic logs every tweak.

What are the next steps I can take?

Sonic
Sonic_Beaver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Sonic's Moved to the Techno_Zone! Reply with quote

Hi friends at Tuneland!

Sonic's moved over to the Michael's new Techno_Zone and my future postings of this tunee's adventures, ups and downs with the Tune will be there.

I'll be letting this thread go dormant and stay on as an archive.

Come along and sign in too at Michael's T-Zone Very Happy

Sonic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TuneLand Forum Index -> Audiophiles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Page 21 of 21

Jump to: