Home FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Register Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TuneLand Forum Index -> Hessions Sessions -> Hessionssessions new forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Green
Founder of MGA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Hessionssessions new forum Reply with quote

Hello TuneLand,

I am happy to hear that Patrick now has his own forum.

From your friends at TuneLand, we wish you all the best. Very Happy

http://www.hessionssessions.com/forum/
702 762 3245
info@michaelgreenaudio.com
www.michaelgreenaudio.com
hessionssessions

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Hessionssessions new forum Reply with quote

Hello Everyone!

I am now hosting the HESSIONS SESSIONS Forum myself and I would like to thank Michael Green for hosting the first HESSIONS SESSIONS Forum here at TuneLand. Here is a link to the new forum.

http://www.hessionssessions.com/forum/

Musically yours,

Patrick E. Hession Mr. Green
Drewster
TuneLand Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Fun video Reply with quote

Here is some fun video on Patrick's forum featuring Patrick and Maynard Ferguson in Las Vegas!

http://www.hessionssessions.com/video.html
Michael Green
Founder of MGA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Review by Jared Hearld
Concert Date: December 8, 2006
Utah Valley State College, Orem, Utah

Patrick Hession and Reggie Watkins recently performed at Utah Valley State in Orem, Utah. They arrived in town on thursday just in time for one rehearsal before the show on friday. On tap for rehearsal was Chameleon, Rocky, Gospel John, MacArthur Park, Danny Boy, Birdland, Superbone Meets the Badman, The Way We Were, and Frame For the Blues. Through the three hour rehearsal the band was no less than amazed at the talent of Patrick and Reggie. We not only saw a great display of brass wizardry, but saw two great educators. The night rehearsal ended with powerful and slick soloing from Reggie and Patrick just wasting Double C's on Chameleon. I could have swore these two had enough chops for another three hour rehearsal.

The show started with Reggie and Patrick on Chameleon. The band started it's groove on Chameleon and within just a minute or so in came Patrick with ear bleeding descending lines starting on double G. Just as we were ending up the 'A' section Patrick led us in to the 'B" section with a Maynardesque double C. Reggie soon took over with his JB's inspired solo. I believe he even threw in a quote from 'Pass the Peas Please". Put some pounds on Reggie and I swear I was listening to Fred Wesley with more grace. To end the song Patrick electrified the crowd with his over Double C usage.

Just in case the crowd didn't get enough of Patrick's high wire act he began playing Frame For the Blues. Except for Maynard I have never heard anyone nail the beginning and end of this song the way Patrick did. Maynard would be proud! The soloing moments again belonged to Reggie. This guy is so diverse with his playing. I could just imagine myself being at Birdland listening to Slide Hampton playing his own arrangement.

Next on the list was a favorite ballad of Maynard's, Danny Boy. Patrick's chops just never seem to quit. Patrick gets to show his delicate side as well as his lyrical playing in all registers. Remember, this is all after a long rehearsal the night before and a dress rehearsal the day of. This piece really does show how complete a player Patrick is. The descending lines from G, A, and finally Double C were all done with such grace. If I didn't know which notes he was playing from seeing them on the page I would have never guessed they were that high. He just played with such ease all the way to low F# at end the song.

Next up was a tune that featured Reggie. This hard swinging chart was just more evidence of Reggie's diversity. As Utah Valley's bari player and Reggie went head to head it was fun to hear the mingling of ideas. Always a playful conversation! What a spark that was given to the band through Reggie's heavy swingn', hard hittn' solo. Reggie was also featured on The Way We were. Reggie demonstrated a great lesson in ballad playing to the packed house.

To end the show Reggie, Patrick, and the Band hit the packed house hard with MacArthur Park, Gonna Fy Now, and Birdland. Throughout the night there was flawless execution on the part of Patrick and Reggie. The love for the audience, music, and Maynard Ferguson were all very apparent in their playing. The crowd was left electrified!

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The Louisville All-Star Big Band: Remembering Maynard Ferguson
Current mood: accomplished
Category: Music

What a show! I mean, WOW!!! I'm not just blowing my own horn (pun intended). Sure, I put it together - but I take no credit for all the musicians' talents. Patrick Hession (Maynard Ferguson's last lead trumpet) was absolutely phenomenal. His tone and mastery of the stratosphere immediately made jaws drop. Many couldn't believe their ears. His double-C at the end of "Danny Boy" was held out longer than I've ever heard! It really made the audience reminisce about their favoite Maynard concert/recording. The only thing that would've been better? Maynard himself. It was obvious more than a little of M.F. rubbed off on Patrick in the 6+ years he occupied the most gruelling chair in jazz!

The whole ensemble was very inspired. Myself included!!! I dipped into the depths of my own Fergunousity (as measured with a Fergunometer!) to pull of my most accurate M.F. impersonation to date! All the soloists were incredible - Chuck Marohnic's solo on "Chameleon" was some of the funkiest piano I've heard in my life! That man is a genius. Andy Mill blew everyone away with his treatment of the Maynard book on "Footpath Cafe". The conversation between he and alto saxophonist Jacob Duncan was a true exhibition of intuition. Chris Fortner was an absolute showstopper with his valve trombone work on "Superbone Meets The Badman". Then he turned around and did it again and again throughout the night with his slide trombone! I really loved Charlie Niehoff's trumpet solos. . . PERIOD! That cat can swing! Tim Whalen's treatment of everything was perfect. I don't know how he always does it, but every solo sounds like they should never be played another way. I'd like to go on, but there were too many shining moments in the show to mention them all! Sorry, Mike Smith, Craig Wagner, Miles Davis, Drew Miller, . . . you get the idea.

I want to express my gratitude to every musician, audience member, audio engineer, and everyone else that helped make the show a success. I really want to thank John La Barbera for attending. It was a good thing I was exhausted from putting this show together. I was so tired I forgot to be terrified while playing alongside Patrick Hession - with the best musicians in town - in front of John La Barbera!

The last person I wish to thank is my wife, Lori. This is the biggest/best event I've ever put together or performed. I felt very driven to make this happen to honor the biggest influence in my life (and many others), Maynard Ferguson. Without her help, I wouldn't have come close to pulling it off. She may not take credit for her contributions, but we've always worked as a team and always will.

Gonna fly now.

Bradley Scott Tharp

Patrick's personal statement about Maynard Ferguson
February 23rd, 2007 04:29

"The first time I saw Maynard Ferguson, GOD told me in a very loud and clear voice, 'That is what you are going to do!' So from that day forward, I always dreamed about being a trumpet player. When I finally started playing the trumpet, I always had faith in the fact that I just knew that I would play lead trumpet for Maynard Ferguson and that I would be his very last lead trumpet player. With this faithful knowledge, I then dedicated my entire life to Maynard and his band. As a result of my dedication it got me on a lot of other gigs, but all I really wanted to do was be there for Maynard. I really miss hangin' out with Maynard (Walter) until 5:00 AM - 7:00 AM in the morning, playing a gig that same day and then doing it all over again that night! What times! Maynard taught me to laugh, make people happy and have fun while doing it! He used to say to the band, 'This is not a moment in modern American music history, so just play and have fun.' I was on the road with Maynard Ferguson a little over six years (June 23, 2000 - August 23, 2006) and it was the best, happiest, most musically satisfying time of my life! Thank you GOD and thank you BOSS!"

Patrick E. Hession, Lead Trumpet
Maynard Ferguson & Big Bop Nouveau
702 762 3245
info@michaelgreenaudio.com
www.michaelgreenaudio.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TuneLand Forum Index -> Hessions Sessions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: